“Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you will be filled.” Luke 6:21
Presbyterian youth are leading the way to help feed the hungry
- Since Presbyterian youth in Columbia, SC started locally the Souper Bowl of Caring in 1989, youth from all over the country have raised over $80 million for food banks, soup kitchens, and food pantries.
- The Souper Bowl of Caring has become a national movement uniting congregations, schools, community organizations, corporations, and compassionate individuals in the fight against hunger.
- Last year 2,153 Indiana youth collected $154,373. Indiana Presbyterians were the largest group, with 40 congregations participating.
- As Indianapolis hosts “the Big Game” on February 5, 2012, we want to make this the largest food mission outreach in our history. One in four children is hungry in Marion County, and one in six children suffers food deprivation across Indiana. As Indiana is in the spotlight, we can use the energy and pride of hosting the game in order to share God’s Love with those in need.
Our goal is to raise $300,000 for Indiana, and with your congregation’s help we can do it! Encourage your church’s youth group to:
1. Register online at www.tacklehunger.org to receive free materials.
2. Collect donations between Jan 15 and Feb. 5 (the day of “the Big Game”)
3. Come to the Service Blitz Rally, Sat. Feb 4th at Arsenal Tech High School in Indy, followed by a morning of volunteer work at Westminster Neighborhood Ministries.
4. Report their results on the website to be included in the national total.
5. Donate 100% of the collection to the hunger charity of their choice.
Contact Carolyn Dederer, Indiana Field Director, Souper Bowl of Caring (317) 372-5122, email@example.com