Come to Detroit on the River Between Two Great Lakes
Hands-On Mission Work Group – Presbytery of Detroit
We will host your group in one of our churches for..
- Lodging, a kitchen to cook meals and a place to gather for worship.
- Cost of lodging is $100 per night for groups of 25 or less.
- Our Hands-On Mission Coordinator will arrange work places and partners so you have a rewarding visit.
- Donations to mission partners for work performed are expected. (Recommend $10 per person per day to the work partners.)
Let us know when you would like to work by emailing: email@example.com
Urban Mission Camp 2018
For over 25 years, Government Street Presbyterian Church (GSPC) has been hosting Christian youth and young adults from all over the United States for a week of urban mission, fellowship, and theological reflection. Below is an overview of the typical week at Urban Mission Camp.
- Saturday: Arrive at Baytreat.
- Sunday: Participate in worship and orientation at GSPC, followed by dinner at Baytreat with GSPC members.
- Monday-Thursday: Travel in groups to mission sites in downtown Mobile and the surrounding Gulf Coast. Work on a variety of projects, learning from those you serve about urban issues and what God is doing among people who are poor in South Alabama. UMC campers also participate in an urban pilgrimage, gaining a glimpse into the life of Mobile residents who are experiencing homelessness or poverty.
- Thursday afternoon: Take a break, relaxing on the beaches of Gulf Shores.
- Friday: Clean up for the next group and depart.
The cost per Urban Mission Camp participant (youth and adults) is $330, or an Early Bird Special of $280 if paid in full by March 1st. This covers lodging, sixteen meals, and a tee shirt. We host a
maximum of 32 participants each week, with one adult advisor required per seven youth.
Advisors must be 25 years or older. We can accommodate a single church group or smaller groups from several churches. Early registration increases your options to selectthe week you want. The mission is designed for campers who are rising ninth graders through graduated seniors or college students. However, we have also hosted some middle school groups, and will evaluate middle school requests on a case by case basis.
For more information, download the the brochure.