Register for The Big Tent through the PC(USA) website.
This summer, thousands of Presbyterians will gather from across the country to celebrate the mission and ministry of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). Registration for the Big Tent Conference opened February 28 and already dozens have begun to respond.
The Big Tent (June 30-July 2) combines nine national church conferences under one roof, bringing together events such as:
- Clergywomen’s Leadership Institute/Young Women’s Leadership Development
- Evangelism and Church Growth Conference
- Healthy Ministry Conference
- National Elders Conference
- National Multicultural Church Conference
- Peacemaking Conference
- Presbyterian Communicators Network National Conference
- Racial Ethnic and Immigrants Convocation, and
- World Mission Matters
Children and youth are vital participants of Big Tent too! There will be children and youth programs, and older youth will have the option to participate in a Pathways event that will run in tandem with the Big Tent.
The Big Tent conference is scheduled to take place in Indianapolis, Indiana. It is our hope that these plans can be maintained, due to the excellent accommodations and arrangements provided by the Convention & Visitors Association, the hospitality community, and local Presbyterians. However, immigration legislation under consideration in Indiana’s state government, may cause the event to be moved. In 2010, the General Assembly instructed its agencies to “refrain from holding national meetings at hotels in those states where travel by immigrant Presbyterians or Presbyterians of color or Hispanic ancestry might subject them to harassment due to legislation similar to Arizona Law SB 1070/HB2162.” We are hopeful that Indiana legislators will reject this legislation quickly, so that our plans can continue, but this is uncertain. Big Tent meeting planners will make a final decision regarding location by May 2, 2011. Until this time, participants are encouraged to register for the conference, but to delay making travel arrangements until the meeting location has been finally determined.
Three spirit-filled days of Presbyterian celebration are planned for the Big Tent, including:
- Worship, led by Mark Labberton and J. Herbert Nelson
- Keynote speaker: Serene Jones
- Your choice of nine partner conferences
- An exhibit hall showcasing the newest ministry resources from the PC(USA)
- Time to reconnect with Presbyterians from across the country
We look forward to seeing YOU at the Big Tent!
Stated Clerk of the General Assembly
Executive Director, General Assembly Mission Council